Thursday 6 October 2011

Problems Installing the Corsair H100 in an NZXT Phantom Case


When I installed my H100, I ran into a few problems that I thought I should post.

The first issue was securing the bracket to the back of my already installed motherboard, I have the Asus Rampage III motherboard and attaching the backplate wasn't as easy as NZXT try to make it. There is a hole in the back of the case but 3 screw holes are still covered, to get over this I loosened off the board and put the plate in place.





The second issue is with the ajustable screw slots on the plate. When the double ended screws are in it is not a tight fit, the screws hit a brass ring that comes out further than my board and this means the back plate is loose. This could have ment that pump would not be sucure to CPU. To get over this I used 4mm washers at the back of my board so it is sucure. He is an image to explain;




So the washers push the plate back and secure the screws and the pump tightly.

The next problem was with the radiator, in the Phantom case there is a 200mm top fan that can be removed to mount double raditors or left in which there are brackets to mount the radiator below this 200mm fan. Because of the depth of the radiator and the fans with the radiator my Ram was obstructing one 120mm fan. My Ram is 53mm tall, so with the top fan, rad and rad fans there is not enough room. I saw a video in which someone cut some of the cooling fins from their Ram so it fitted. To get over this my self I more simply bent the brackets for mounting the radiator to a diagonal to clear the Ram;


12 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time screwing in the brackets. Which screws did you use? the ones that came with the phantom or the ones that came w/ the H100?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I used the flat head screws from the phantom case, the B x 8, 6-32 flat screw for attaching the radiator to the bracket then I used a round headed screws for the brackets to the case, which I think came from the H-100. Hope your installation goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive bought the phantom and the h100

    ReplyDelete
  4. this might be a long time of a post. but it seems like your using the same ram as i am.. im thinking of getting it (H100) since i already order the phantom. i am afraid my ram will be in the way. you think if i took off the fins of the ram, there will be room? also you think that will effect my ram having no Fins?

    my MB is Gateway TBM01 with Corsair Dominator 2GBx6

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi dude, how did u solved that problems?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the washers... it comes with the h100?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the washers did come with the h100 but I had to drill them to 4mm because they were too small. You hopefully shouldn't have this problem, im geussing its because of the thickness of my motherboard. although if I rember correctly it was also to do with the thread on the screws not being long enough,I hope your installs goes well!

      Delete
    2. it was done well bro...
      I done same solutions as you did :D

      workin 100%

      i7 930@ 4.0 running @30c
      was 50c~ with h70 :p

      Delete
    3. sounds really good, is that on the highest fan on the h100?, i would like to have those temps but with the summer weather i stick too 3.7 @32c medium speed on the h100 fans :D

      Delete
  7. I have the same problem with my Kraken X60 fixture. I had to bend the bracket a little due to the misalignment of the screw holes. Fortunately my Ripjaws X had recessed corners so it helped to sit the radiator fans snuggly. Now I'm facing another issue, the screws attaching the radiator to the top of the case got loosened very easily which resulted noise coming from the fans.

    ReplyDelete